Singer Sew Man

Monday 18 November 2013

Upcycling a pair of jeans into a bag (Part 2)



Welcome to Part 2, which is all about quilting the front and back pieces of your bag.

In the picture you can see that I have cut a piece of batting to go under the front piece. I have left some excess around the edges to account for any stretching of the denim material that may occur during sewing.



For this particular demonstration piece, I wanted to create a shape involving only straight lines and after a little research, came up with the following design. I drew it onto the fabric using an ordinary ballpoint pen and am hoping that the topstitching will hide this fact later on.



Now, it is time to choose an appropriate topstich thread. Here, I have chosen dark purple.










Here's how they turned out. I tried one in purple and the other in pink.










Next, place the two pieces right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam around the edges (apart from the top opening).









Turn the bag inside out and you should have something similar to this.










Next, I 'boxed the corners' as they say with a random 2" box in each corner.










I reinforced the boxed corners with a stitch line close to the bottom edges.







Now, I turned my attention to the inner lining. I cut out two pieces of fabric similar in shape to one of the sides of the bag. I then followed the same process as I did with the outer. 1/4" seam around three sides (not the top), boxed the corners and turned it inside out.



The final step is to place the inner bag around the outer bag and line up any seams so they match. I then stitched a 1/4" seam around the top opening of the bag. I turned the whole thing through an opening at the bottom of the inner bag and voila!

After turning the whole thing through, I top stitched around the top edge one more time to secure it in place.





In the third and final part of this series, I will be showing you how to assemble and attach the straps.


































No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews